Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Seriously, Will This Law Help?

During my daily readings of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, I came across something that really caught me off guard. It seems that the Texas state legislature is debating whether or not to change the law that would allow people turning 21 to actually drink at midnight of their birthday. They will not be able to drink until 7 a.m. on their birthday (which is rather funny, b/c there is no place open to even sell you alcohol at that time). This is supposedly do to some dumbass drinkers who try to take 21 shots from midnight to when the bars close at 2 a.m, then end up in a coma or dead. Now, I will say that I did take my 21 shots on my 21st birthday, but I did so starting at about 6 p.m.

Do I think this law will actually help anything? No. Will it stop people turning 21 from drinking a lot on their birthday? No. I think what it will actually do, is just drive people to drink at home on their birthday, and just go out at night later on. Really, what needs to be done, is the bartenders who serve these people 21 shots in a row in a span of a few hours, needs to be fired, fined, or whatever else will get the point across.

Honestly, I am not sure why this law seems to tick me off so much, since I am 21. But it does bother me, I think mainly because I don't really think this law will do a damn thing besides take up our tax dollars while some schmuks in Austin argue.

I guess though, if the law does pass though, then I will have to abide by it. That means when my roomate Jeff turns 21 in a month, I will not be aiding him in his drinking on his 21st birthday (HA yeah right, I will be right there with him :) )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home