Monday, November 07, 2005

Business School Entrance Exam ... or English Test?

So, last Friday I took the PCAT (which is the entrance exam to get into the business school here at OU). First, lets just get it out of everyone's system - Yes, I am in my fourth year of college, and yes, I am just applying to get into the business school. Done laughing? Great. The process was a little held up since I transfered. Hopefully I will only have to go through one victory lap at college.

As I was sitting listening to the exam instructor tell us what this thing was going to be about, I couldn't help but wonder if I was in the right room. I am not really sure what I had in mind for the entrance exam, but I was thinking it would be something along the lines of what we had to go through at TCU; have good grades, get Microsoft Certified, then go through a professional interview with a big-wig in the DFW business community.

Instead, I had to write two essays. You might be thinking, "Well, if they are essays about business (any aspect of business), that might not be so bad." Hmmm. Well, thats not what it was at all. My first essay (which I had 45 minutes to compose, edit, and finalize) was for me to analyse the quote, "All good ideas come from passion in commonplace things." Are you kidding me? The second essay I had to write (which I only had 30 minutes for ) was a little better, but not a lot. This one was about analysing an argument, which side I was on, and why.

I guess I am just a little confused why me getting into business school is contingent upon grammer, sentence structure, etc. Not to say all that stuff isn't important, but I think there are more important things that need to be focused on when trying to get my degree candidacy and all taht stuff figured out.

Oh, by the way, I got a 5/6 on each one; which I suppose is very good since a 6/6 is real hard to come by. I should get my notification on if i get into the Price College of Business in a week or so.

In other news, for the 6th time in a row the Chiefs beat the Raiders. It's not just that they beat them that impressed me, it is how they beat them. The Chiefs have always been a kind of notorious conservative team. To see Dick Vermiel go for the win with 5 seconds left on the 1 yard line was very impressive. It just shows me that these Chiefs would rather go for the win right then, then play it conservative and try to win in overtime. I love it. Congrats.

The Dallas Mavericks are off to an OK start. They, as always, look good on offense, but letting up 95 ppg isnt going to get you very far.

I know this is a few weeks old, but kudos to Bill Gates. Obviously being the richest person in the world he has a huge obligation to make good with the blessings he has been given. He recently announced that on top of the millions of dollars in donations he already gives every year, he is going to donate an extra $250 million this next year to fight malaria. Chump Change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home