Sunday, November 12, 2006

My adventures in the OU Library

I had to go to the library today to actually do research. I have been in the study rooms before for some peace and quiet, but today I had to wonder down into the basement where the microfilm is housed for old-ass newspaper articles.

I had to admit that I was scared. There are a number of stories floating around campus about students who unwittingly try to do research and somehow end up dieing in the library catacombs.

I made it down there in one piece while dodging an asian student who looked too smart to talk to, and a mexican janitor who looked like he didn't know how to talk. I was given a quick tutorial on how to find a newspaper article on the microfilm, found what I needed, and proceeded to try and print it out. It was at this time that things really started to get crappy.

Apparantly you have to be in some sort of super-secret society, and know the super-secret handshake to print out an article from microfilm. Since I am not a member and dont like shaking hands, I had to pay for my copies. But it seemed as though my money was not good enough. After trying to get a newspaper article from 1987 to print, and with no success, I thought I would just check out - yes check out - a book.

I haven't actually checked out a book from a library since doing a research paper on FDR in 6th grade. I have done research on the internet, and looked at books at the library, but attempting to take a book home was pretty foreign territory to me. I found the book that I needed to help with my research paper, but had no idea what to do next. I found the smartest looking white chick who looked like she lived in the library and asked for help. She ushered me to the front counter and told the dude I needed to check out the book. Everything was going fine until he told me I couldn't check it out because it was from the reference section. What? You can get denied from checking out a book? What has this world come too?

So needless to say, after hours at the library I didnt get to print out my newspaper article, and I couldn't check out a damn book. I tried to do some research that didn't rely so heavily on the internet, and look where it got me...right back on the damn internet, that's where.

11 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Anonymous ali said...

damn reference sections...i hate that

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Ryan said...

damn libraries...i hate them

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous ali said...

it has officially been two months...that is a sixth of a year! my heart is broken...

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Mom said...

Ok, I do believe I can honestly say I miss reading Ryan's blog site. Even though I know how busy he is, I enjoy some of his outlook on life with his wit and humor. :)
Love ya!

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Hapi said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

 
At 5:30 PM, Blogger File said...

Download Forum Poster V3 3.0 at FileAfro.com

http://www.fileafro.com/view_forum-poster-v3-30.html

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Keyword said...

hello... you may submit this blog to my webBlog Directory, keyworddir.info.. have a nice day!

Keyword Directory

 
At 10:00 PM, Blogger natasha said...

Watch Natsha Naked!

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger indavao said...

hi... just dropping by!
http://www.fileafro.com
http://mobileandetc.blogspot.com
http://kantahanan.blogspot.com

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger tagskie said...

hi.. just dropping by here... have a nice day! http://kantahanan.blogspot.com/

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger JanuskieZ said...

Hi... Looking ways to market your blog? try this: http://bit.ly/instantvisitors

 

Post a Comment

<< Home